By G. Peterson
The aptitude chance posed by way of Leonid meteoroids to orbiting spacecraft over the subsequent numerous years demands new dynamic mitigation techniques to help the satellite tv for pc group in decreasing the risk to its autos. This booklet deals planned dynamic mitigation options to counterpoint the conventional protecting suggestions, supplying undertaking operators extra how you can reduce the risk. 5 assorted angle keep watch over and orbit maneuvering innovations are tested intimately. the data is gifted in algorithmic shape to permit technically efficient, yet meteoroid green, operators to simply comprehend the phenomena, check the risk, and enforce procedures.
- info and data showing during this publication are for informational reasons in basic terms. AIAA and the writer aren't liable for any harm or harm caused by use or reliance, nor do AIAA and the writer warrant that use or reliance can be loose from privately owned rights.
Read Online or Download Dynamics of Meteor Outbursts and Satellite Mitigation Strategies PDF
Best astronautics & space flight books
Sleek Earth-orbiting satellites are subtle machines that experience reworked all points of human civilization. This paintings examines the evolution of those spacecrafts, and is helping scholars and academics detect what Earth-orbiting spacecraft are, the place they got here from, how they paintings, and why they're so vital.
The professional checklist of America's first area station, this thorough and hugely readable booklet from the NASA background sequence chronicles the Skylab software from its making plans throughout the Nineteen Sixties via its 1973 release and its end in 1979. Its definitive money owed study the project's pursuits and achievements in addition to using discoveries and know-how constructed in the course of the Apollo software.
Whereas there are various books and different literature on spacecraft electrical energy platforms, there are not any complete unmarried references describing the allowing applied sciences utilized in spacecraft energy platforms. This publication fills that want. instead of describing particular energy structures utilized in a variety of area flights, Spacecraft strength applied sciences info 3 of the main generic sorts of power assets utilized in spacecraft strength systems—solar, chemical, and nuclear resources.
- Paving the Way for Apollo 11
- Exploring the Moon: The Apollo Expeditions (Springer Praxis Books Space Exploration)
- The Smithsonian Book of Air & Space Trivia
Additional resources for Dynamics of Meteor Outbursts and Satellite Mitigation Strategies
29) The near-circular suboptimal analysis relied only upon the unitized angular momentum vector, which does not change with varying eccentricity, and so the only adjustment necessary for elliptical orbits is to account for the greater distance at apogee height. , when the plane of the orbit no longer coincides with the approach vector), the optimal perigee location will change as well. In the optimal elliptic case, the Icomponent of the perigee vector was compared directly with the z-component of the radiant vector to yield the optimal perigee solution (Eqs.
I " ' ;; i :/ - ' I " ' 'I " 1998-2000 outburst -1 - ' I I - ~- 1o I , 8 , I , , , 10-6 - , ' . I . I ' Annual shower 1o-' 10-8 Fig. 13. Impact probabilities for critical mass particles. : 26 Assessing the Threat impacted by a dangerous inass particle during the 1998-2000 event. However, it must be stressed again that the flux estimates could be off by an order of magnitude. e.. im act chances are lower) or negative (chances become close to unity for a 100 ni satellite) way. Figure I . I4 shows the Leonid flux per unit area at the time of peak activity as a function of the particle inass for both the annual shower and the expected 19982000 outburst.
Note that this is a time profile determined in 10-minute sections. To find the total probability of a hit, the number of impacts under the outburst curve must be totaled. 002 probability. The small time of peak activity clearly dominates the result. A satellite with a 100-rn2 area would thus have had roughly a 241-10 chance of being hit by a dangerously sized particle during the 1998-2000 Leonids, assuming a peak worst-case ZHR of 10,000. S. 0001 E'"'"' -. I"" I ' "i" . " ' I " ' ;; i :/ - ' I " ' 'I " 1998-2000 outburst -1 - ' I I - ~- 1o I , 8 , I , , , 10-6 - , ' .
Dynamics of Meteor Outbursts and Satellite Mitigation Strategies by G. Peterson